Monday Feature

Monday, January 23, 2017

Monday Feature: Kim Fielding



C.S.: What do you write?
Kim: All the things. Seriously—stories I’ve published in the past few years have been fantasy, contemporary, paranormal, historical, sci fi, AU with a touch of BDSM, suspense, steampunk, and even sort of Western (but nobody rides a horse).

C.S.: Why do you enjoy these genres?
Kim: I get in moods. Sometimes I feel like immersing myself in 15th century Bosnia, and sometimes I’d rather write about a grad student in Iowa. I read in many genres too, so it makes sense that I write in many.

C.S.: Tell us about your writing space
Kim: I have a beautiful study—half of which is buried under my husband’s piles (I recently cleaned my piles up). I actually do most of my writing sitting at the kitchen table. I prefer not to isolate myself from my family. I also write quite a bit when I travel.

C.S.: What sort of work-related items do you keep at hand?
Kim: Three things are musts: my laptop, my phone, and a beverage. Oh, and my reading glasses, as I am becoming aged. This time of year, the beverage is usually espresso or tea. I may have my Kindle nearby, and pen and paper, and I really like my phone stand. My older daughter bakes, so I often have goodies close at hand, just in case I’m in danger of starvation while writing.

C.S.: What’s the weirdest item you keep nearby that’s not at all beneficial to writing?
Kim: Whatever items my family has deposited on the table nearby. At the moment? A little metal container full of Starbursts, a small kittens calendar, a paper bag containing tortilla chips, a Slytherin bookmark, and two Hot Topic receipts. And a fork.

C.S.: Do you have any ‘good luck’ charms?
Kim: Not exactly, but a good friend gave me a paper charm on which I could write the titles of my books. My custom has been to write a title on release day for each novel. But the charm has 16 pages, and my newest book is my 17th novel. I haven’t found a new place to record titles yet.

C.S.: What’s easily the most distracting item in your writing space?
Kim: Oh, no contest—the Internet. Oh wait, let me check my email and my Facebook feed!

C.S.: Do you have any bad habits when you write?
Kim: Aside from the Internet thing? Well, there are those baked goods I mentioned. And sometimes far too much caffeine.

C.S.: What time of day are you most creative?
Kim: Late evening, when there are fewer distractions in the house and I feel like I can settle in. I sometimes write until my eyes are too blurry to see the screen properly.

C.S.: Do you have any ‘helpful’ pets?
Kim: We recently adopted a cat, Elena Katgan. She’s 8 years old so she’s pretty mellow. But sometimes she hops on the chair next to me and taps my arm until I pet her. She’s also terrifically helpful when I’m trying to clean or fold laundry.

C.S.: What do you do to de-stress or enjoy that’s unrelated to writing?
Kim: I try to walk every day, usually while listening to an audiobook. That’s great for destressing and just giving me some downtime. I also love to travel, and I manage a trip for work or pleasure every month or so. Although that’s not unrelated to writing, because I often find settings and material for my books.


C.S.: Do you eat or snack while writing?
Kim: Sadly, yes. Did I mention that my daughter likes to bake?

C.S.: Listen to music? If so, does the soundtrack change with projects?
Kim: I do sometimes listen to music, especially if I’m writing in an empty house during the day. My playlist is eclectic, and is sometimes affected by the WIP. For example, I listened to a lot of Johnny Cash while writing Rattlesnake.


C.S.: Question from the audience: What project are you most excited for this year?
Kim: I’m always most excited about the one in progress! Right now I’m getting ready to submit my 19th novel (#18 is already set for publication in 2018). This new one is a noir private eye story in a medieval fantasy setting, complete with river wraiths, necromancers, and a talking head. And instead of a femme fatale, we have an homme fatal.


Release Date: January 13, 2017

Blurb: Small but mighty—that could be Detective Nevin Ng’s motto. Now a dedicated member of the Portland Police Bureau, he didn’t let a tough start in life stop him from protecting those in need. He doesn’t take crap from anyone, and he doesn’t do relationships. Until he responds to the severe beating of a senior citizen and meets the victim’s wealthy, bow-tied landlord.

Property manager and developer Colin Westwood grew up with all the things Nevin never had, like plenty of money and a supportive, loving family. Too supportive, perhaps, since his childhood illness has left his parents unwilling to admit he’s a strong, grown man. Colin does do relationships, but they never work out. Now he’s thinking maybe he won’t just go with the flow. Maybe it’s time to try something more exciting. But being a witness to a terrible crime—or two—was more than he bargained for.

Despite their differences, Colin and Nevin discover that the sparks fly when they’re together. But sparks are short-lived, dampened by the advent of brutal crimes, and Colin and Nevin have seemingly little in common. The question is whether they have the heart to build something lasting.

Note: Second book in the Love Can’t series, but can be read as a standalone.


 
Author Bio: Kim Fielding is the bestselling author of numerous m/m romance novels, novellas, and short stories. Like Kim herself, her work is eclectic, spanning genres such as contemporary, fantasy, paranormal, and historical. Her stories are set in alternate worlds, in 15th century Bosnia, in modern-day Oregon. Her heroes are hipster architect werewolves, housekeepers, maimed giants, and conflicted graduate students. They’re usually flawed, they often encounter terrible obstacles, but they always find love.
After having migrated back and forth across the western two-thirds of the United States, Kim calls the boring part of California home. She lives there with her husband, her two daughters, and her day job as a university professor, but escapes as often as possible via car, train, plane, or boat. This may explain why her characters often seem to be in transit as well. She dreams of traveling and writing full-time.



Join Kim's giveaway for a chance to win an audiobook of The Downs!

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Be sure to leave your questions or comments for Kim! Thank you for supporting indie authors.

C.S.
xo

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! My cat is also quite "helpful" when it comes to folding laundry. He wants to make sure everyone has a little bit of his fur to wear each day. :-)

    I loved The Downs ebook and am betting it is also a great listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! Cats are so helpful. :-)

      KC Kelly did a wonderful job on the audio for The Downs. I'm so pleased with it!

      Delete
  2. I want the noir private eye medieval fantasy novel yesterday. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could share it already. I had *such* fun writing it!

      Delete
  3. Love your books! Especially Rattlesnake, the Bones series, Astounding, and Brute. The Tin Box made me cry. I have two "helpful" cats also. :) Rattlesnake and Brute audios are excellent, too. (Have them in print and audio).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean! KC Kelly did an amazing job on the Rattlesnake and Brute audio (and The Tin Box and Housekeeping!), and he narrated The Downs as well.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete