Latest Book

Latest Book

Monday, February 20, 2017

Monday Feature: Angel Martinez



C.S.: What do you write?
Angel: Mostly science fiction and fantasy with queer characters, though I have been known to spill over into other things. Messy, messy writer.

C.S.: Why do you enjoy these genres?
Angel: The glib and slightly facetious answer is that I live in the real world. I don't want to have to write in it. More seriously, speculative fiction provides limitless opportunities for world building, for creation and for the exploration of dangerous and difficult topics.

C.S.: Tell us about your writing space.
Angel: I do have a study of my own overlooking the backyard. It's not a large room, but how much space does a writer need? My desk is an old four-person kitchen table piled with notebooks and random scraps of paper with my PC sitting in the midst of the chaos in regal splendor. It thinks it's regal, anyway.

C.S.: What sort of work-related items do you keep at hand?
Angel: Computer, iPad, notebooks for, um, notes and for daily tasks, pens and coffee.

C.S.: What’s the weirdest item you keep nearby that’s not at all beneficial to writing?
Angel: Oh, dear. There are tons of weird things in this room. On the desk itself would be my button collection, which serves no purpose at all except to collect cat hair.

C.S.: Do you have any ‘good luck’ charms?
Angel: Leopold, the pink hedgehog. He comes with me to every convention and sits in a spot where he can watch me work.

C.S.: What’s easily the most distracting item in your writing space?
Angel: My computer, what else? Far too easy to chat with friends, check up on Facebook, go down the rabbit hole of interesting articles and so on. (Also, my iPad is right here in case I want to take a break and read. And forget to stop.)

C.S.: Do you have any bad habits when you write?
Angel: Putting it off. I do have other things I need to accomplish every day but I tend to do all of these things and not get enough writing done.

C.S.: What time of day are you most creative?
Angel: Whenever I can get my brain to cooperate. The best times of day tends to be early morning or late afternoon.

C.S.: Do you have any ‘helpful’ pets?
Angel: Oh, yes. My three kitty girls are oh, so very helpful. Isis is the tortie—she's a little over twenty years old and super vocal when she wants attention. Bella is the tuxedo and will sometimes attempt a bit of co-authoring. Sweetpea is the giant part Maine coon tabby who sits in the hall and cries and cries until I talk to her.

C.S.: What do you do to de-stress or enjoy that’s unrelated to writing?
Angel: I read. I know, that's so exciting.

C.S.: Do you drink or snack while writing?
Angel: Coffee, coffee, coffee in the mornings. Probably too many pastries between meals.

C.S.: Listen to music? If so, does the soundtrack change with projects?
Angel: No. I used to, but I love music a little too well? It's too distracting to have it on while I write since I pay far too much attention to the music. Also, I can't hear the phone in case one of our parents call.

C.S.: Question from the audience: If you could have coffee with any of your characters, who would it be and why?
Angel: Any of them? Hmm. Diego Sandoval and I would probably have a lot to talk about and I'd love to beta his next book. He could even bring Finn, though Finn does not get to have coffee. Otherwise, I'd probably enjoy Charon's company the most. Yes, the ferryman of the dead, go figure. Even better than just coffee, I'd love to attend Charon's book club with maenads and a Minotaur librarian.


Release Date: 3/7/17 (up for pre-order starting 2/21)

Blurb: When a ferocious book attacks Carrington at his own birthday party, he believes it's an isolated incident. But similar books soon pop up all over town, menacing innocent people with harsh bits of poetry and blank verse that deliver damaging physical blows. It's a frustrating case with too many variables and not enough answers, and the stakes go up with each attack.
With the help of his misfit squad mates at the 77th and the public library's rare book department, the missing pieces decrease but not Carrington's vexations. His commanding officer rakes him over the coals at the beginning of every shift. His police partner has lost patience with what she sees as his delusional relationship choices and his inability to pick the right man in a vast field of two. City Hall demands that the books be stopped immediately. It's enough to put a nutritionally-challenged vampire off his skim blood.




Author Bio: The unlikely black sheep of an ivory tower intellectual family, Angel Martinez has managed to make her way through life reasonably unscathed. Despite a wildly misspent youth, she snagged a degree in English Lit, married once and did it right the first time, (same husband for almost twenty-four years) gave birth to one amazing son, (now in college) and realized at some point that she could get paid for writing.
Published since 2006, Angel's cynical heart cloaks a desperate romantic. You'll find drama and humor given equal weight in her writing and don't expect sad endings. Life is sad enough.
She currently lives in Delaware in a drinking town with a college problem and writes Science Fiction and Fantasy centered around gay heroes.



Join Angel’s giveaway for (2) copies of Skim Blood and Savage Verse in ePub or PDF.

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Thank you for supporting indie authors! Be sure to leave your own questions for Angel.


C.S.
xo

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for the interview Angel and Carole. And congratulations on the upcoming release. What a wonderful idea, books attacking people with poetry and blanc verse. It sounds very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanja! The inspiration comes from the fact that words can cut quite badly, despite the old saying. :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great interview! I love your books, Angel. If I were to have coffee with one of your characters, I would choose Shax and hope that he would bring Leopold, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen! I'm sure Shax would love to bring his only son to coffee with you. Of course, you'd probably get Max the centipeded and Nicodemus the space rat, too. ;)

      Delete
    2. Oh, I'd take the whole crew if I could get them. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the interview, Angel. I love your books. If I had to choose one, it would be Boots, because it was the first one I read, and that makes it really special... Any chance of a print edition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boots is, unfortunately, not long enough for print. Sometimes Pride combines stories, though, into collection editions. I might be able to convince them to do a fairy tale collection someday.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the interview, Angel and Carole. If I had coffee with one of the crew, it would be Heckle and I'd hope he'd bring Mac.
    Angel, thanks for clearing up what type of arthropod Max is. Thought he was a millipede, but the cover of Beside a Black Tarn clearly showed a centipede. It confused the heck out of me. Why? Who knows. Just wacky I guess. Looking forward to Skim Blood & Savage Verse. Great title BTW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heckle would absolutely bring Mac. Cause he'd be too shy to meet you on his own. ;) Cover art is tricky :( and we can't always get an exact match for things with a good visual item that works.

      Thank you!

      Delete