Latest Book

Latest Book

Monday, February 27, 2017

Monday Feature: Jeff Adams



C.S.: What do you write?
Jeff: MM romance as well as gay young adult, which may or may not have a romance element.

C.S.: Why do you enjoy this genre?
Jeff: For the romance, I’m a romantic at heart and so conjuring up stories of guys getting together is a joy for me.
On the young adult side, I remember wishing there were books out there when I was in middle school and high school that had gay characters in them. I’m happy to be able to put those stories out there now because while it’s safer to be gay for teens these days there’s still a lot of risk and it’s not easy to find someone who looks like you in fiction.

C.S.: Tell us about your writing space.
Jeff: I’ve got an office in our house. It’s where I do my day job, as well as my writing. I’ve got posters on the wall from some of my favorite musicals and plays, plus some of my favorite book covers. I’ve got a lot of books in here too—two book shelves plus a small old desk that has books on it. There’s also a rocking chair, which is the one my mom rocked me in as a child. That’s where Will hangs out when we’re working together and sometimes where I read.
I started working at a stand up desk late last year and love it. I’ve got a chair that’s tall so I can sit at it if I choose. I go back and forth a lot, depending on how I feel. It’s nice to have the option to not sit all the time.


C.S.: What sort of work-related items do you keep at hand?
Jeff: Pens and paper to scribble on if I need it. I try to keep everything for stories on the computer so I don’t have to worry about losing a piece of paper, or not finding the right page in a notebook. I’ve also got a small whiteboard as well as chalkboard squares to use when I’m plotting a story  out (which then all gets moved into the computer). There’s also a big calendar and planning space, which are both wet-erase, so I can keep things on schedule.

C.S.: What’s the weirdest item you keep nearby that’s not at all beneficial to writing?
Jeff: Big Bang Theory figures, a couple hockey pucks, a small Star Trek communicator and Enterprise model alongside a Curious George stuffed animal and a small koala.


C.S.: Do you have any ‘good luck’ charms?
Jeff: I don’t think so. If I do, it hasn’t revealed itself.

C.S.: What’s easily the most distracting item in your writing space?
Jeff: The internet. My self-control is pretty good given how I structure my writing sprints, but it can still be a pull, especially when I’m first starting for the day.

C.S.: Do you have any bad habits when you write?
Jeff: I have a nasty habit of changing tenses. And, as I’ve been trying to write more in third person, I sometimes shift, in the middle of things, back to first. Both of these are very annoying.

C.S.: What time of day are you most creative?
Jeff: Mornings are it for me. I’m usually up between 4:30 and 5:30 and writing within an hour or so after that. During the week, that’s critical since I can’t write much beyond 8:30 because of the day job. Weekends are a little more flexible and I might get more time in, but it usually all happens by noon.

C.S.: Do you have any ‘helpful’ pets?
Jeff: No pets at all here, helpful or otherwise.

C.S.: What do you do to de-stress or enjoy that’s unrelated to writing?
Jeff: Read, watch too much TV (a wide range of shows including CW superhero shows, This is Us, The Voice, The Big Bang Theory, Speechless, The Real O’Neals, Empire, American Ninja Warrior and--if it’s a good season--Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance). Go to a play or musical, if one’s playing nearby I want to see.

C.S.: Do you drink or snack while writing?
Jeff: Drink mostly—water, coffee, cocoa or Pepsi Max depending on my mood at the time.

C.S.: Listen to music? If so, does the soundtrack change with projects?
Jeff: It changes on mood. Some days it’s a show tunes mix, others a rock or ballads or dance mix. Sometimes I get specific and lock in on a specific musical or artist, but usually it’s a wildly eclectic mix.

C.S.: Question from the audience: Where’s your favorite place to relax and read?
Jeff: Reading tends to happen in one of three places: at the breakfast bar during breakfast, the rocking chair in my office or lying on the couch.


Release Date: 12/28/2016

Blurb: Can an onstage love story lead to a real-life romance?

Jeremy Steele is a veteran Broadway performer. For his latest role, he’s dancing alongside a man he’s fantasized about for years, TV star Ty Beaumont. Jeremy knows better than to get involved with a castmate, but when Ty has trouble learning the complicated choreography, Jeremy offers to lend a hand. When a rehearsal kiss turns into something more, Jeremy can’t help but wonder what a celebrity like Ty could ever see in a Broadway chorus boy like him. 

Will a relationship with his crush make it past previews, or can it become a long-running hit?



Author Bio: Jeff Adams has written stories since he was in middle school and became a gay romance writer in 2009 when his first short stories were published. Since then he’s written several shorts and novels and he plans to keep writing as long as wonderful readers keeping picking up his books.
Jeff lives in rural northern California with his husband of twenty years, Will. Some of his favorite things include the musicals Rent and [title of show], the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins hockey teams, and the reality TV competition So You Think You Can Dance. If forced to pick his favorite book, it would be a tie between Michael Chabon’s The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay and David Levithan’s Every Day.
Jeff is the co-host Jeff & Will’s Big Gay Fiction Podcast, a weekly show devoted to m/m romance as well as pop culture. New episodes come out every Monday at biggayfictionpodcast.com.



Join Jeff’s giveaway for a chance to win (1) e-copy of a title from his backlist! (Does not include anthologies, box sets, or Love’s Opening Night.)

Thank you for supporting indie authors! Be sure to leave your own questions or comments!

C.S.
xo

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the interview. I have always wondered if a stand up desk would be nice to work on.
    I like your Sheldon figurines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like my stand up desk a lot. The assembly was a little crazy, but I'm glad I did it.
      And it's nice having an army of Sheldons standing by. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for a great interview!

    ReplyDelete