Monday, June 17, 2024

Status Update: Hudson River Homicides

I’ve cancelled both of the 2024 pre-orders (Magic & Steam 4 and Memento Mori 4) with the simple reason being: the looming deadlines for submitting pre-orders weren’t conducive to producing the quality writing my readers know and have come to expect.

I’ve been recovering from creative burnout for the last year, which led me to trashing the original (and half finished) manuscripts to both books mentioned above because they weren’t up to my storytelling standards. Unfortunately, those decisions put me behind schedule, and Amazon only allows authors to extend their pre-order once by an additional thirty days—which is rarely helpful. The only call to make, tough as it might be, was to cancel these pre-orders and finish writing the books at my own pace.

I love Larkin and Doyle (as well as Gillian and Gunner) so much, and writing these stories brings me such joy. I don’t want to lose what makes writing special in a mad dash to reach the finish line, and I don’t think readers would like those books either. I know this is disappointing, but I promise I’m hard at work on Hudson River Homicides and our favorite cold case detective and forensic artist aren’t going anywhere!

I’m going to avoid assigning a specific release date until I’ve finished writing the book. (It will be 2024!) But once Hudson River Homicides goes into edits, the schedule becomes surefire, so I’ll be able to share the date publicly! And when Book 4 releases, yes, Kale Williams will return to narrate the audiobook too.

I really appreciate your support of my writing and the excitement you share with me for Larkin and Doyle. I can’t tell you how incredible it is, how happy I am that these two unconventional heroes have found so much acceptance with readers.

Below is the official blurb for Hudson River Homicides, as well as a little excerpt for your reading pleasure! Thank you again, my friends, and I promise to keep you updated via newsletter and my social media channels.

-

Blurb: The Cold Case Squad has a problem: someone won’t stop taunting Detective Everett Larkin. He’s been able to apprehend some of the worst criminals to ever stalk the streets of New York City, thanks in great part to forensic artist and boyfriend, Ira Doyle, but after their last case, events have taken a turn for the worse.

A body recovered from the Hudson River bears a message addressed to Larkin, as well as another token from Victorian mourning culture. And as nineteenth century hair jewelry leads Larkin deeper into the growing tangle of interconnected crimes, it becomes evident that solving these mysteries will come at a profound cost. To be a good detective, Larkin will have to put his relationship on the line by revisiting the past and enduring sleepless nights—lest the sender act on their threat against Doyle.

What began as a game of cat and mouse has turned into a fight for love and life itself.

-

Excerpt: Doyle wore a light gray suit that morning—a color he didn’t typically favor, but in Larkin’s professional opinion, it really complimented his physical blessings—paired with a powder blue button down, sleeves rolled back of course, and a navy tie with the knot just the slightest bit askew.
In other words: Ira Doyle was perfect.
Doyle smiled, big and bright, like he only had eyes for Larkin. The strap of his portfolio bag crossed his chest from left to right and he held two of the same coffee cups and sandwiches as Porter—sans bacon, Larkin guessed.
Porter tilted his head sideways in reference to Doyle while saying, “Look who I bumped into at the food cart downstairs.”
Doyle said to Larkin, “I figured you’d probably be jonesing for some calories about now.”
“He’s a real peach, Grim,” Porter interjected.
“Thank you, Porter,” Larkin answered, holding the phone to his chest.
“I’m just saying—my ex-wife was never so thoughtful.” Porter set his breakfast on his messy desktop. He tossed his coat over the back of his chair and pocketed the handkerchief before adding, “Come to think of it, I don’t recall your husband ever coming ‘round with coffee, either.”
“Ex-husband,” Larkin corrected. “Because he was expected to be at his job.” And as Doyle approached Larkin’s desk, he said, more quietly to his partner, “You have a job too.”
“It’s still early,” Doyle insisted, voice dropping to match Larkin’s tone. He stood close enough that Larkin had to tilt his head back, but not so close that their intimacy was on public display. “How’re you?”
“I suppose making a spectacle over subpar hold music has given me away.”
“A bit.”
“I’m happy to see you.”
Doyle’s sympathetic smile bloomed like a recording of a time-lapsed flower on fast forward. “Yeah?”
“I’m always happy to see you.” Larkin heard the jazz music cut and he promptly raised the receiver to his ear.

9 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful author and taking time to make a story the way you want tells everyone you care about the story. We'll read it when you're ready for us to see it. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about time schedules. We will always wait as long as you need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take all the time you need! I'm so looking forward to reading both books but, like everyone else, I'm happy to wait until you're satisfied with the final product. It gives me more time to reread (and listen to) the rest of each series. I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been dying to read more about Larkin and Doyle since I discovered them last October, but I'd rather wait for a book you feel happy with than a rushed one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending warm fuzzies! These characters are worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so pleased you're listening to your writing goddesses and saying "not until it's truly cooked" instead of putting out something that isn't quite done yet. Larkin and Doyle are special and your writing is sublime; I'd rather wait than have anything less just for a deadline. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy that you pushed the date and choose quality over all else. Many authors rushed their work during covid and the results were not good and not up to par with their previous work. I'm looking forward to reading a book that reflects the love and care you've put into it. Better 'late' than bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a great series. I'm really hoping your creative block will subside sooner rather than later. But really, don't let anyone pressure you into submitting substandard. And please don't forget to sell it on kobo too, since I refuse to buy books from amazon.
    All the best from Hamburg, Germany
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely ADORE the Memento MorĂ­ mysteries and have read/listened to them several times, awaiting the fourth installment. That said, I know all about on the job burnout and the need to slow down the pace. And meet your own needs before that of your readers. Last thing you need is pressure from us. Hugs and support from all of us!

    ReplyDelete